The following support article gives instructions on how to import and set batch numbers and triggers for the Ardens Seasonal Immunisation Tools 2020-21.
How to Import the Ardens Seasonal Immunisation Tools
Please note that these protocols will be installed with your next routine update but if you wish to access them sooner, you can do so from our Ardens Portal.
1. Launch Template Manager by going to the EMIS ‘orb’ in the top-left and selecting Configuration > Template Manager.
2. Choose where to import the protocols by selecting one of your folders in Template Manager. We suggest creating a new subfolder called ‘Seasonal Vaccinations 2020’ under ‘Ardens’.
3. Click Import in the top menu:
4. Navigate in the file browser to where you have downloaded the three protocols, select the first and click Open.
5. The protocol should be imported; repeat steps 3 and 4 with the other two protocols.
6. The three protocols should be visible in Template Manager as follows:
Setting your Batch Numbers and Expiry Dates on the Flu and Pneumococcal Protocols
Please note: this phase is a little fiddly but only needs to be done once. We recommend it is done by an experienced user of EMIS Web.
In order to use the protocols entitled ‘Seasonal Flu 2020’ and ‘Pneumococcal 2020’ to record the administration of vaccines, you will need to add your batch numbers and expiry dates to the protocols. This is done as follows:
1. First, right-click the ‘Seasonal Flu 2020’ protocol and select Protocol > Edit
2. The protocol should open in edit mode and you will see it laid out like a flowchart. Use the scroll bars to look down the protocol until you find the section with the multiple choice picking list for the LAIV, as below (it is near the bottom):
Steps 3-7 below will be repeated for each vaccine type:
3. Double-click the box on the left entitled ‘Multiple Choice Question’ (circled above). It should open, and you should be able to replace the ‘X’ in the four options with your own batch numbers and expiry dates for the LAIV (circled below). When you’re finished, click OK.
4. Next, you’ll need to trace the first output arrow from the multiple choice box to its corresponding ‘Add coded data’ box. To do this, click on the line adjacent to the first arrow where it exits the multiple choice box and it should highlight the arrow and show you which of the ‘Add coded data’ boxes it leads to, shown by red arrow below:
5. Double-click the ‘Add coded data’ box and it should open as follows (with appropriate injection site pre-completed):
6. To be able to fill in the Manufacturer, Expiry date, Batch number and other details, you will need to choose 'add qualifier' and addd each of these separately. It will then bring up a box you can complete as shown below:
Complete the fields as required, and then click OK.
7. Repeat steps 3-6 for the other 3 options in the multiple choice box.
8. You will then need to scroll down to the next multiple choice box, this one for the aTIV vaccine (trivalent). Follow steps 3-7 (in the grey box above) for this vaccine and its associated batch numbers, expiry dates, and left/right arm. Don’t forget to complete BN and expiry date in both the multiple choice list AND the relevant ‘Add coded data’ boxes.
9. Finally, you will need to scroll down to the last multiple choice box, this one for the QIV vaccine (quadrivalent). Follow steps 3-7 (in the grey box above) for this vaccine and its associated batch numbers, expiry dates, and left/right arm. Don’t forget to complete BN and expiry date in both the multiple choice list AND the relevant ‘Add coded data’ boxes.
10. Click the Save and Close button in the top-left:
11. Next, right-click the ‘Pneumococcal 2020’ protocol and select Protocol > Edit
12. The protocol should open in edit mode and you will see it laid out like a flowchart. In the top-left, you should see the section with the multiple choice picking list for the Pneumococcal vaccine, as below:
13. Fill in the batch numbers and expiry dates as you did in steps 3-7 (in the grey box above), ensuring you complete BN and expiry date in both the multiple choice list AND the relevant ‘Add coded data’ boxes 1
14. Once you’re finished, press Save and Close as you did for the flu protocol in step 10.
Please see how to add the Seasonal Immunisations protocol to the F12 protocol launcher.
Activating the Flu and Pneumococcal Protocol in the EMIS Library
We recommend you activate the EMIS protocols as this will assist clinicians in deciding which patients are eligible to receive a vaccine by placing an alert in the pink “alert box”.
Navigate to Configuration > Template Manager > EMIS Library. Then open the Influenza folder as below (inside EMIS Protocols).
Activate all three of the alerts you can see on the right-hand side of the above image (right-click on each alert to activate it). If they are displayed in bold then they are already activated and no further action is required.
Setting triggers on the Reception flu+pneumo pop-up alert 2020_21
1. Right click on the protocol and choose 'Properties':
2. Choose 'Triggers' and then 'Add':
3. We need to set 2 triggers here. Firstly to launch when reception / admin staff 'book appointment. Choose 'System Trigger' then 'Book Appointment':
For 'Run Mode' choose 'Always Run':
Then for Job categories choose 'Specific Job Categories' then choose 'Admin/Clinical Support' and 'Receptionist'. These are the groups of people for whom this protocol will then launch automatically. Finally click OK.
For the second trigger, choose 'Add' again:
This time, for System Trigger, chose 'Load Patient Record':
For 'Run Mode, choose 'Always run':
Then, for job categories, choose 'Specific job categories' and Admin/Clinical Support' and 'Receptionist' as above:
Finally click OK then OK again to return to the main template manager screen.
If you require any further assistance on the process above, please contact Ardens support on: email@example.com