The following support article gives instructions on how to import and set batch numbers for the Ardens Seasonal Immunisation Tools 2020-21.
How to Import the Ardens Seasonal Immunisation Tools
1. To access the protocols navigate to Configuration > Resource Publisher and expand the Shared folder within the Protocols and Templates tab. Three protocols should be visible in under Ardens / QToolset (Ardens)(vx.x) / Seasonal Immunisations 2020-21 as follows:
2. In order to edit the batch numbers, you will need to copy 'Seasonal Flu 2020' and Pneumococcal 2020' protocols into your own folder. Create a folder in your organisation called ‘Seasonal Immunisations 2020’’.
3. First, in the Ardens Seasonal Immunisations 2020 folder right-click on ‘Seasonal Flu 2020’ and select Copy.
4. Then, in your own folder within Resource Publisher, right-click and select Paste.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 with the protocol entitled ‘Pneumococcal 2020’.
6. Ensure you now deactivate the original copies of the ‘Seasonal Flu 2020’ and ‘Pneumococcal 2020’ protocols by right-clicking on each and selecting Status > Deactivate.
Linking the Copied Protocols Together in your own Folder
You have now copied the protocols ‘Seasonal Flu 2020’ and ‘Pneumococcal 2020’ into your own folder. The pneumococcal protocol is designed to run automatically after the flu protocol.
1. Right-click the protocol called ‘Seasonal Flu 2020’ and click Edit.
2. The protocol will open in edit mode.
3. There is a point at the bottom of the protocol where it links to the ‘Pneumococcal 2020’ protocol (see below image).
4. At this point, do the following:
a. Double-click the ‘launch protocol’ box (as shown above); the following box should open:
b. Type ‘pneumococcal’ and press enter. You should see your copy of the pneumococcal protocol appear in the panel on the left as follows:
c. Click on ‘Pneumococcal 2020 (v14.0)’ to highlight it and click OK in the bottom right. The dialog box will close.
6. Finally, Save and Close the protocol using the button in the top-left.
Setting your Batch Numbers and Expiry Dates on the Flu and Pneumococcal Protocols
Please note: this phase is a little fiddly but only needs to be done once. We recommend it is done by an experienced user of EMIS Web.
In order to use the protocols entitled ‘Seasonal Flu 2020’ and ‘Pneumococcal 2020’ to record the administration of vaccines, you will need to add your batch numbers and expiry dates to the protocols. This is done as follows:
1. First, right-click the ‘Seasonal Flu 2020’ protocol and select Protocol > Edit
2. The protocol should open in edit mode and you will see it laid out like a flowchart. Use the scroll bars to look down the protocol until you find the section with the multiple choice picking list for the LAIV, as below (it is near the bottom):
Steps 3-7 below will be repeated for each vaccine type:
3. Double-click the box on the left entitled ‘Multiple Choice Question’ (circled above). It should open, and you should be able to replace the ‘X’ in the four options with your own batch numbers and expiry dates for the LAIV (circled below). When you’re finished, click OK.
4. Next, you’ll need to trace the first output arrow from the multiple choice box to its corresponding ‘Add coded data’ box. To do this, click on the line adjacent to the first arrow where it exits the multiple choice box and it should highlight the arrow and show you which of the ‘Add coded data’ boxes it leads to, shown by red arrow below:
5. Double-click the ‘Add coded data’ box and it should open as follows:
To be able to fill in the Manufacturer, Expiry date, Batch number and other details, you will need to choose 'add qualifier' and addd each of these separately. It will then bring up a box you can complete as shown below:
6. Complete the fields as required, and then click OK.
7. Repeat steps 3-6 for the other 3 options in the multiple choice box.
8. You will then need to scroll down to the next multiple choice box, this one for the aTIV vaccine (trivalent). Follow steps 3-7 (in the grey box above) for this vaccine and its associated batch numbers, expiry dates, and left/right arm. Don’t forget to complete BN and expiry date in both the multiple choice list AND the relevant ‘Add coded data’ boxes.
9. Finally, you will need to scroll down to the last multiple choice box, this one for the QIV vaccine (quadrivalent). Follow steps 3-7 (in the grey box above) for this vaccine and its associated batch numbers, expiry dates, and left/right arm. Don’t forget to complete BN and expiry date in both the multiple choice list AND the relevant ‘Add coded data’ boxes.
10. Click the Save and Close button in the top-left:
11. Next, right-click the ‘Pneumococcal 2020’ protocol and select Protocol > Edit
12. The protocol should open in edit mode and you will see it laid out like a flowchart. In the top-left, you should see the section with the multiple choice picking list for the Pneumococcal vaccine, as below:
13. Fill in the batch numbers and expiry dates as you did in steps 3-7 (in the grey box above), ensuring you complete BN and expiry date in both the multiple choice list AND the relevant ‘Add coded data’ boxes 1
14. Once you're finished, press Save and Close as you did for the flu protocol in step 10.
Please see how to add the Seasonal Immunisations protocol to the F12 protocol launcher.
Activating the Flu and Pneumococcal Protocol in the EMIS Library
We recommend you activate the EMIS protocols as this will assist clinicians in deciding which patients are eligible to receive a vaccine by placing an alert in the pink “alert box”.
Navigate to Configuration > Resource Publisher > EMIS Library. Then open the Influenza folder as below (inside EMIS Protocols).
Activate all of the alerts you can see on the right-hand side of the above image (right-click on each alert to activate it). If they are displayed in bold then they are already activated and no further action is required.