The following support article will give an overview of the available Ardens resources to support Pharmacists and Pharmacy Technicians.
Locating the Ardens Pharmacy Clinical Templates Folder
Ardens offers a variety of clinical templates to support all practice staff in capturing consistent accurate data.
To locate the Ardens Pharmacy folder, open a new consultation and select the Run Template option (if not in consultations, click on the Add button on the EMIS ribbon, followed by Data Using Template option).
This will open the Template Picker screen. If you have accessed any templates before, these will display to the left of the screen.
Search for the template you require by typing in the search box, alternatively select the Ardens > Consultation templates > Pharmacy folder to the right of the screen which will then display all templates available within that folder. Double click the required template to open.
The following Ardens Pharmacy templates are available:
- Medication Safety Review – for use in conjunction with Ardens Prescribing Searches (searches currently on a request only basis).
- Corticosteroid Monitoring – ensuring details around initiation and monitoring are recorded accurately.
- Pharmacy Technician review Template – aiding with recording medication and appliance reviews.
- DRUM Review – for dispensing practices recording a Dispensing Review Use of Medication.
- Anticoagulation (warfarin,DOAC) – detailed template for initiation and monitoring of patients requiring anticoagulation.
- Structured Medication Review Template - to support with a comprehensive medication review for the patient, aligning with the Network DES 2023/24 requirements. For more information please click here.
- Community pharmacy consultation service – providing criteria information and recording data gathering information (to be used in conjunction with the Community Pharmacy Consultation Referral document).
- Adrenaline Auto-Injectors – providing information around anaphylaxis and completing reviews for patients using AAI.
- Benzodiazepines and Z-drugs template - aiding with recording details around history and lifestyle, associated risk with prescribing and information relating to withdrawal.
- Covert Medication Administration template – enables recording of relevant history and assessment and mental capacity. (Covert medication administration form document template available).
- High risk drug review – enabling recording of data on initiation and monitoring of high risk drugs.
- Pharmacist Review Template – assists with capturing data around reason for the consultation as well as medication reviews and outcomes.
Pharmacists will find the Ardens Diary Recall Template useful for recording ad-hoc recalls such as blood tests and injections. More information on the Ardens Diary Recall System can be found here.
Useful Ardens Searches for the Pharmacy Team
The following searches may be useful to support pharmacists in their role within the GP practice:
- Ardens Diary Recall Searches – searches to identify patients who require a recall.
- Ardens Prescribing Safety Searches – searches identifying patients on medication that my need extra monitoring.
- Ardens Prescribing CAS Alerts – searches to identify patients potentially at risk based on information from the Central Alerting System.
- Ardens Prescribing Monitoring Searches – searches to assist with drug monitoring to ensure correct tests are completed.
- Ardens Prescribing - Alerts – searches to identify patients prescribed medication/treatment and may need a review as there may be a potential safety concern.
- Ardens Prescribing - Reviews - searches to assist clinicians with identifying patients that may require certain prescribing reviews, e.g. Drum reviews, Pill checks.
- Ardens Condition Reports – the Alerts folders contain many safety searches relating to medication.
- Ardens Network Contract DES Searches – includes Structure Medication Review and Low Carbon Inhaler searches.
How to Identify and Action the Ardens Clinical Safety Alerts
Ardens includes many MHRA/NICE guidance clinical safety alerts, which are displayed in real time where a safety issue arises for the patient. These are alerts work for all staff members and are triggered either at the point of adding a clinical code or adding or issuing medication.
Please see an example below of an Ardens Clinical Safety Alert (Alerts if monitoring needed when issuing Amiodarone):
For more information, please see our dedicated support article.
Ardens National Document Templates
Ardens includes many auto-populating standardised document templates for practices. Below are a couple of examples of documents that may be beneficial for pharmacists.
The Corticosteroid Monitoring document can be printed directly from a patients record if required. Please note there is also a clinical safety alert that will display when adding steroid medication to the patients medication screen to inform that the patient may require a steroid card and give you the option to print at that time.
We have also provided a Structure Medication Review document which pharmacists may decide to use.
For more information on how locate and use the Ardens National Document Templates please see the dedicated support article.
To access our recorded webinar for Pharmacists and Pharmacist Technicians please click here.
If you require any further assistance on the process above, please contact Ardens support on: firstname.lastname@example.org